Fire Prevention Week is observed each year in commemoration of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. According to the U.S Fire Administration, three out of five fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms. As a general rule, you should test your smoke alarms monthly, change batteries twice a year, check carbon monoxide alarms if you have them, ensure all electrical cords are in good condition and not broken or cut, put candles in sturdy fire-proof containers that won’t be tripped over, regularly practice cooking safety, and have an escape plan in place. In 2018, the most recent year for which data is available, fire departments responded to more than 1.3 million fires, which accounted for $13.2 billion in direct property loss, a death every two hours and 24 minutes, and an injury every 35 minutes.*
How does Smoke and Fire Detection Keep You Protected?
With a timely response, a small fire may cause more inconvenience than damage. But a fire can smolder away for hours until it gets an infusion of oxygen or fresh fuel. At that point, it can literally change in a flash, becoming fast-growing and extremely destructive. Our Monitored Smoke and Heat Detector Systems alert you quickly. And they work 24-7 even if your Security System is not actively set! Why? Because the quicker you know what’s happening, the easier it is to respond.
The faster that response, the sooner help will be on the way and the less your chance of extensive property damage and loss of life. But you can’t rely on your own senses to be the best defense; if a fire comes when you’re asleep, or if you’re distracted by your business’s midday rush, things can get out of hand quickly. Monitored Fire and Smoke Detection systems improve your protection and your odds.
Get a FREE quote to find the investment needed smart home devices installed in your home. Our security professionals can help with a free in-home consultation where they’ll ask you about your home automation needs then suggest the system set up and specific products that fit your needs and budget best.
The best defense against fire in your home or business is to prevent one from starting. These simple steps will help.
- Keep your home or business clear of trash, debris, and overgrowth; these can provide fuel to fires, and cut off evacuation routes
- Have a fire safety plan that includes a meeting place a safe distance from your home or business, and practice it
- Place UL-listed fire extinguishers throughout your home or business and make sure everyone knows how to use them
- Keep sufficient clearance around appliances and heat sources
- In the Home: Checking and clean dryer vents and examining electronics and wiring for signs of wear
- Keep your fireplace and chimney clean
- Whether it’s dinner on the stove, a scented candle, or a space heater, if it gives off heat, never leave it unattended
- Test your system regularly, and if there’s a sign of trouble, don’t ignore it — have your system maintained, and have components repaired or replaced as quickly as possible
Richmond Alarm monitors when there is a fire in your home with fire alarms and smoke detectors. You can trust that when there is a fire, your monitored home alarm systems will sound an alarm and Richmond Alarm will have already dispatched the closest fire department within 30 seconds after the alarm first goes off. Are you ready for monitored protection?
Call Richmond Alarm to start protecting your home with local monitoring. Our monitoring specialists are all local Virginia homeowners. That means they work harder to keep your home and family safe!